top of page


Safety Certificates in Cheadle & The Wider Greater Manchester Area

Home Information Packs (HIPS) and many homeowner surveys do not carry out gas safety checks.

Ask the vendor for a gas safety certificate which should show that all gas appliances have been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer (after April 1st, 2009) or CORGI engineer (before April 1st, 2009).

If the vendor cannot produce a gas safety certificate then arrange for a qualified engineer to inspect all gas appliances. Once all the appliances have passed inspection, the engineers will give a gas safety certificate to the vendor, who should give it to you before the move in date.



As a landlord, it is your duty to understand the legal responsibilities with regard to gas safety for your tenants.

If you rent out a property, you must:

  • Make sure that all flues, pipework, and appliances are kept in a safe condition.

  • Get a gas safety check every 12 months, carried out by a registered Gas Safe engineer, and receive a copy of the gas safety certificate.

  • Give your tenants a copy of the gas safety certificate within 28 days of the checks being conducted or before the tenants move into the property.

  • Demonstrate how to turn off the gas supply to your tenants in case of a gas leak.

  • You must keep records of all gas safety checks for 2 years.

It's vital that you get all gas appliances checked before moving into your new property, to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from badly maintained/installed gas appliances.

Cleaning a Gas Stove
bottom of page